Wednesday, 21 May 2014

Bookworm #1: The Fault in Our Stars

I am a self-proclaimed bookworm. I have loved reading for as long as I can remember and own several hundred books which take pride of place in my bedroom, be it on the shelves of my enormous book case or on my Kindle which I love dearly. I know that blogging about books won't interest all of you as this is mainly a beauty blog but I have decided I want to branch out a bit and do some book reviews too. And so, the 'Bookworm' series is born.


"Despite the tumour-shrinking medical miracle that had bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten."

The Fault in Our Stars is a beautiful novel by award-winning author John Green, telling the story of 16-year-old Hazel who meets fellow cancer patient Augustus Waters at a support group. I love the quote that is on the front of the book which is from another author called Jodi Picoult. She says The Fault in Our Stars is "filled with staccato bursts of humor and tragedy." Couldn't have said it better myself Jodi.

This book is tragic, beautiful, heart-breaking, unique, emotional and witty. Expect to shed a few (or maybe more than a few) tears as you read this book. I cried like a baby. If you are looking for a cheery, heart-warming story with a happy ending then steer clear of this but otherwise, I can't recommend this book enough. It doesn't matter if you are sixteen or sixty, I reckon you will fall in love with this. The movie version will be released in UK cinemas on June 20, although I doubt you will see me there because I am not prepared to blub in a room full of people. I think it would be a good idea to wait for the DVD, don't you?



4 comments

  1. I'm currently reading this, it's so good! I'll definitely be seeing the film once it's released, be it in the cinema or on DVD.

    IAmLinderella.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are braver than I am then, I'll cry too much to watch it in public!

      Delete
  2. Ashley Llewellyn30 May 2014 at 04:41

    I'm scared to go see it in the theater as well but I think I'll go anyways and just bring a pack of tissues with me! Near the end of the book I couldn't stop crying and I couldn't quite read through all the tears so I had to take breaks haha. John Green makes you fall in love with Augustus and then it just sort of crushes your entire being when he dies. *sobs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure you just described my exact situation whenever I read this book! I have to take breaks too, I try and do it when I feel the tears coming on but it never seems to work haha x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending your precious time reading my rambles. Go ahead and leave me a little comment if you like and I will reply to any questions that you may have. Just make sure to check the 'Notify Me' button!


UP