Saturday, 7 June 2014

Bookworm #2: The City of Bones


Clary Fray is seeing things: vampires in Brooklyn and werewolves in Manhattan. Irresistibly drawn towards a group of sexy demon hunters, Clary encounters the dark side of New York City - and the dangers of forbidden love.

I will be the first person to admit the blurb on Cassandra Clare's 'City of Bones' is not the most enticing. It sounds far from unique, just your regular vampire storyline with a love triangle flung in there somewhere for a bit of added flair. And I suppose that is what this book is about, but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it.

I'm not Clary's biggest fan as I thought she was a little boring and predictable but I did start to like her more and more as the series goes on (this is the first book of many), however Jace remains my favourite. He is a shadowhunter - cheesy, I know - and there is just something about him that is exciting and, for lack of a better word, sexy. It's a shame people like that don't exist in real life. Clary's mother has been kidnapped and so Clary must work with and against the shadowhunters, vampires, warlocks, werewolves and demons to get her back. If I had researched the book before I read it and saw what it was about I probably wouldn't have bothered with it but I'm glad I just went ahead with it because I would have missed out on a really great book.

One thing which I didn't really get about this book is Clary is meant to be fifteen years old, and I think the author made a mistake here. She definitely seems more like sixteen or seventeen, and I feel like the story and the way she acts would have been more believable that way. Her love life isn't really that of a fifteen year old girl.

My advice to you is to simply overlook the cheesy, cliched storyline and just dive right in without reading about it too much and you will probably find that you really like it. It's very long - 442 pages - so just stick it out. You'll be glad you did.

- Holly xo

2 comments

  1. This makes me want to read it and it's definitely not my 'usual' type of book, so well done on selling it to me! It would be great if you could check out my blog, I'm very new to all this

    -Thanks

    http://akissfromalipsticklover.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad, that means I have done my job well haha! You should definitely read it x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for spending your precious time reading my rambles. Go ahead and leave me a little comment if you like and I will reply to any questions that you may have. Just make sure to check the 'Notify Me' button!


UP